Mar 25, 2012

into the earth

the day i promised
will never come to pass.
i told him
time will give him strength
courage wisdom
and one day
he will surpass me without trying
but until that day
character will be built
on the heartache of failure
and that failure
will be the foundation of his success.
i watched him grow
and as i grew older
he came closer to the realization
that one day
he would have to take it easy on me.
that day will never happen
but it doesn't stop me
from imaging a time
where we relax in silence
broken by oddness.
we both made promises
we now cannot keep.
i would trade my life for his
and his response would be to decline.
pride and sadness occupy
the same space in my heart.
now i look for him for strength
lean on his back to get through the days.
i hear his voice
telling me the magic of time
so i settle
with the memories of the future
and let magic do its thing.