Jul 18, 2010

A Note

What gets you by? Everyone has their way (or vice) to get through life, the work week, the weekend, drama, and the many voices in your head. Years ago, during my playing with fire stage, I melted a crayon with a lighter. A drop of color landed on the window sill and it fascinated me. It reminded me of paint and the color glowed. A couple of months ago I bought a box of crayons and a pack of canvas boards. I've been experimenting with color combinations, melting techniques, and avoiding burning my hair from the heat from the oven. These experiments have unleashed a wave of creativity and I look forward to the next time a crayon liquefies. I'm on a path of finding what makes me happy, what gets me by, and I noticed most of these things come from my childhood; when life was "care free". We use various activities to escape reality and it allows us to shake the weight of the world off our shoulders. Like everything there is a flip side. A problem arises when the thing that gets you by morphs into something that stops you from getting ahead. Life has sense of humor.